upgrade only installed stuff

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de
Wed Nov 15 12:09:07 PST 2006

On Nov 15 2006 16:48, Pascal Bleser wrote:
>Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> Currently, when having [packman] enabled, all of their packages are
>> considered for inclusion into the system - upgrading those from SUSE 10.1.
>>
>>     However that is not my intention, as I do not need all packages.
>> Currently, xmms-1.2.10-103.pm.1, p7zip-4.42-0.pm.1 and a few others are
>> installed for example. Is there a way to run or configure smart in such
>> a way that on `smart upgrade` only _installed packages_ (xmms, p7, few
>> oth.) (and possible dependencies) are considered for upgrade?
>
>[...]
>You don't want to only upgrade installed packages.

>You want to only install/upgrade packages from Packman when they're not
>available in the SUSE repository... right ?

It's quite double-sided, and probably too hard to implement for what
I seek. Just let me restate it in a more clear way (for me too).

Current situation (simplified): xmms.pm and SDL.suse are installed.

What happens on `smart upgrade` when:

  - giving packman a higher priority: will pull in SDL.pm (not good)

  - giving packman the same priority: will also pull SDL.pm

  - giving packman a lower priority: will downgrade xmms.

neither of which is What I Want. However, since the semantics of `smart
upgrade` works like that (upgrade everything), I was looking for a
'smarter' upgrade.

	-`J'