Is it possible to change the package dir?

Robby (M9.) monkey9 at iae.nl
Fri Nov 17 01:10:56 PST 2006

Pascal Bleser schreef:
> M9 wrote:
>> I have a fixed var partition, and it is too small to contain all the
>> packages for a major upgrade.
>> YaST2 can not be instructed anymore, to install from a dir, helas.
>> I have about 900MB rpm packages sitting in /var/lib/smart/packages...
>> I do not want to throw them away...
>> If I could change this dir to a dir with more room, my problem would be
>> solved for now.
>
> Well, one option would simply be to mount another partition onto
> /var/lib/smart/packages
>
> If you don't want to use a separate partition for it, you can also mount
> --bind on Linux, e.g.:
>
> mount --bind /tmp/smart-packages /var/lib/smart/packages
>
> To add a mount --bind to /etc/fstab, the syntax is:
>
> /tmp/smart-packages  /var/lib/smart/packages  bind  defaults  0 0

In my case it was not possible to add a new partition, nor empty one.
I added the mount to a dir (smart-packages) in a big partition, there
was a mention about the dir, but is is mounted all the same..
(as i performed the major upgrade by YaST2 allready, i have to wait for
a next one to see if it gets realy used..)

thnx. ;)

> The other option is to change smart's configuration variable "data-dir",
> but that will also make smart use some directory instead of
> /var/lib/smart, so you will also end up with e.g.
> /tmp/smart/packages/
> /tmp/smart/channels/
> /tmp/smart/tmp/
> /tmp/smart/cache
> /tmp/smart/config
> there.
> If you prefer the latter option nevertheless, it's as simple as
> smart config --set data-dir /tmp/smart
> (or whatever directory you want to use for it)
>
> Personally, I'd go for using a partition on its own to be able to give
> it a specific size to avoid filling another critical partition (like /
> with it). But then again, I use LVM, makes it really easy ;)

Nothing to change for me here, as i did not use lvm to create the
partitions..

M9.