smart 0.50rc1-7 ok @ shell, GUI fails

snowcrash+smart schneecrash+smart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 16:36:22 PST 2006

hi pascal,

> > two versions of gtk-2.0/* :-/
> > the file
> >     libpixbufloader-png.so
> > obviously exists in directory
> >     */2.10.0/*
>
> You've hosed your gtk2/gnome by installing gtk2/gnome 2.10 packages.
> SUSE 10.1 ships gtk2/gnome 2.8.

nice and clear. thanks.

i'd been treating -- perhaps naiively -- the repo @,

http://linux.nssl.noaa.gov/opensuse/repositories/GNOME:/STABLE/SUSE_Linux_10.1

as an "official" suse repo mirror, and therefore QA'd appropriately.

*it* provides gtk 2.10.x

> Roll it back

with a specific "what to do". thanks.

> GTK/GNOME is just a big pile of .... when it comes to
> backwards compatibility.

and *that* probably is the *real* issue ;-)

> It's not related to smart nor to my package. Your gtk2/python-gtk
> packages don't match.
>
> hope this helps ;)

it did. i,

-- *disabled* the GNOME: repo
-- juggled my rpm-sys channel to the right priority
-- smart update+upgrade'd the rollback (huge!)
    (1st requiring a bunch of --force'd rpm DOWNgrades of gtk2,
python-gtk, ... what a pain!)

after a safe/successful reboot, checking now,

% ls /opt/gnome/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/
 io-wmf.so                libpixbufloader-pcx.so   libpixbufloader-wbmp.so
 libpixbufloader-ani.so   libpixbufloader-png.so   libpixbufloader-xbm.so
 libpixbufloader-bmp.so   libpixbufloader-pnm.so   libpixbufloader-xpm.so
 libpixbufloader-gif.so   libpixbufloader-ras.so   svg_loader.so
 libpixbufloader-ico.so   libpixbufloader-tga.so
 libpixbufloader-jpeg.so  libpixbufloader-tiff.so

the file in question is back where it needs to be, and

  smart --gui

once again launches without error.

back in business.  thanks.