Non-interactive smart

Andreas Bach Aaen andreas.bach.aaen at ericsson.com
Thu Oct 5 06:08:41 PDT 2006

Hi,

I am evaluating the different package managers for that are able to install
rpm packages into a non root (/) filesystem. One of the uses are installations
for User Mode Linux.

However I have found that yum have an option -y that makes it non-interactive,
and hence usable for scripting. I haven't been ablt to find a similar option
for smart - is this true?

Also I use smart from a machine that isn't network connected. The archives are
local accessable. This means that I can't access a keyserver. How do I
install the needed keys on advance, so this step is skipped, and I still
check the signatures of the individual rpms?

When I bootstap my system by this:
smart -o rpm-root=/tmp/newroot/ --option rpm-check-signatures=0 install rpm
kernel-smp

During this installation I see warnings like this:
------
Output from udev-085-30.10 at i586:
                                                                    warning:
group tty does not exist - using root
-----

For me to seen does this mean that you are using the rpm command and the
password/group file from the surrounding filesystem (/) and not the new one
(/tmp/newroot).

If you first bootstrap your new rootfilesystem with e.g. the rpm command, and
after that install the rest with the bootstrapped rpm command in a chrooted
environment (to /tmp/newroot) then it's possible to create e.g. a Suse
rootfilesystem on a Fedora system or the other way arround. Maybe even
installing a deb based rootfilesystem on an rpm based host. Any experience
out in this direction, now that smart doesn't seems to be connected to any
specific destribution?

Regards,
--
Andreas Bach Aaen              System Developer, M. Sc.
Ericsson Danmark A/S           tel: +45 89 38 51 00
8260 Viby J      Denmark       andreas.bach.aaen at ericsson.com