OK, I'm stumped

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Mon Oct 23 22:30:13 PDT 2006

Pascal Bleser wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
>> As far as I know, the 'official' release of smart for Suse (10.1) is
>> called 42-14 provided by Pascal Bleser.
>
> I don't work for Novell, hence it's not the "official" release (whatever
> "official" is supposed to mean ;)).

As far as I, and most others I would suggest, am concerned yours is the
official release because it comes from the smart site and was the first,
and only, compilation for Suse.

The one now from BS is a johnny-come-lately.

>> At the same time, there is one provided by OpenSUSE BuildService which
>> is 42-1-26 (as of now, jumped from 25 overnight). This one is, of
>> course, on a different channel.
>>
>> The big question: which one is the latest?
>
> Both and neither ;)

Oh, how I love these "more or less" statements! Is it "less" or is it
"more"? :-) .

  >> Are both compatible?
>
> No, they contain different sets of patches.
> But they don't break each other.
>
> Mine includes three things the package from the BS does not (on purpose):
> - - a patch to improve Smart's "install" behavior on x86_64
> - - a patch to handle mirror definitions embedded in .channel files
> - - comes preconfigured with most channels you'll need on SUSE
>
> Basically, our opinions differ on the latter.
> Christoph (who maintains the package in the BS) thinks it's a bad thing
> that makes a lot of problems.

He's *wrong*!

> I think it's a good thing that makes life a lot easier for beginners
> (and personally I haven't seen many problems with it).

You're right!

Tell him that from me - and whoever else who installed smart after being
severely mauled by the monster foisted on people in SuSE 10.1.

> We plan to maintain only a single package instead of two (most probably
> in the BS) as the current situation is somewhat confusing, but haven't
> found the time to do so (yet).

OK, but please do NOT put it on any server to do with Novell. The
download speeds from Novell servers are RS. I may as well be on a
dial-up connection when downloading from Novell servers.

BTW, there is the option to edit channels but how are mirrors handled?

Cheers.

--
This morning my administration released the budget numbers for fiscal 2006.
These budget numbers are not just estimates; these are the actual results

                                                George W. Bush    11 Oct
2006