killing smart hazardous

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sat Oct 28 07:40:15 PDT 2006

On Oct 28, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Neal Becker wrote:

> I noticed that if I logout when smart-gui is running, that my rpm
> db gets
> destroyed.  That's not very nice.

Destroyed is a bit harsh.

Cyanide? Plutonium? C4? Box cutters?

Forensics is impossible without details ...

(aside), "robust posix mutexes" are headed into Berkeley DB this
weekend.
When I first changed to use NPTL shared posix mutexes for locking, part
of the rationale was to have locks disappear when a process died.

As an aging unix geek it was inconceivable to me that a kernel would
not have reference counts to prevent leakage of resources.

Silly me ...

73 de Jeff