how to reset configuration?

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon Oct 30 00:51:00 PST 2006

Hi all,

I have just installed smart (v0.42-39) on my FC6 system and my first
impression is very positive.

However, I have run into a small hiccup: I accidently set one of the
configuration options to an apparently illegal value, and now when I
try to run smart I just get a bunch of python errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/smart", line 194, in ?
    main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/bin/smart", line 165, in main
    initPlugins()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/__init__.py", line 161,
in initPlugins
    __import__("smart.plugins."+entry[:-3])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/plugins/channelsync.py",
line 200, in ?
    syncChannels(sysconf.get("channel-sync-dir", CHANNELSDIR))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/smart/plugins/channelsync.py",
line 33, in syncChannels
    if os.path.isdir(channelsdir):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/posixpath.py", line 195, in isdir
    st = os.stat(path)
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, bool found

My first inclination was to delete smart's binary configuration file
but it doesn't appear to be in an obvious location (ie, /etc or
/etc/smart). Can someone tell me where it is located or suggest an
alternative method to reset it?

FWIW: the problem arose when I accidently set 'channel-sync'-dir to
true. My intention was to set 'force-channel-sync' to true.

As an aside, there may be good design reasons why force-channel-sync
is set to false by default, but it is counterintuitive when one first
starts using smart. I was having trouble determing the correct base
URLs for several repos I wanted to add to /etc/smart/channels and I
found it completely baffling that changes to the channel files didn't
have any effect. Only by investigating in the online docs did it
became apparent why.

Thanks.

--
  Colin Brace