I get this error message...

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at skynet.be
Mon Oct 30 03:41:38 PST 2006

Basil Chupin wrote:
> Pascal Bleser wrote:
> But.... whose cage does one rattle when something like this occurs again
> (and I don't necessarily mean in the same source/directory)? And isn't

"whose cage does one rattle".. you mean "whom to blame" ?

Well, generally speaking, package repository synchronization is an
very complex topic I don't want to get into here and now.
Basically, you have the repository metadata and the package files
themselves.
Now if the metadata gets rsynced successfully but not all the
packages, you end up having what happened to you.

smart "sees" the package as it is in the metadata but then fails to
download it because the actual (rpm) file isn't there yet.

Very, very complex to make the process bullet-proof.

I'd say shit happens, try again a little later.

> there some way that whoever puts up files in a directory as upgrades can
> do a dummy download before they go home for the night to make sure that
> all the files have been put up?

I don't think that's needed.
Smart computes the transaction and downloads all (rpm) files before
actually applying the transaction in RPM.
The downloads that succeeded are kept in a cache directory so when you
try again, it won't download the files again.

This approach is safe and consistent.

cheers
--
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/