[issue239] smart hanging on librpm/__memp_fget_rpmdb

Axel Thimm at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Mon Oct 30 13:52:23 PST 2006

New submission from Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net>:

Submitting on behalf of a user at ATrpms. Recently some users have reported
issues with smart on FC5.

Hi,

>>> I also suffered from a lot of smart/rpm problems on my FC5 box this
>>> week and I still haven't figured out what caused it. It seems like
>>> smart kept corrupting my rpm database (happened over night at least
>>> twice and a couple more times when I was trying to fix it). I've
>>> rebuilt my rpm db at least 10 times and removed all smart data (except
>>> for config) at least twice.

And it just happened again. I'm running a smart transaction (upgrade
mythtv + small misc updates, remove two old kernels + kmdls) and smart
just hangs during  "Committing transaction":
Committing transaction...
Preparing...                    ########                               ( 21%)

I can see that it's looping in librpm somewhere (__memp_fget_rpmdb), so
I'm guessing my rpm db is corrupt (once again). Now, after rebuilding the
rpmdb several times and removing all smart data (except for config) at
least twice, the transaction still would not complete without hanging up.

Then, I split up the transaction into the upgrade and the removal of the
kernels. The package upgrade was fine, but the removal of the kernel +
kmdls hung up smart (again). I finally decided to give up and just rpm -e
them on the command line; no problems there.

Mark

messages: 851
nosy: thimm
priority: bug
project: smart
status: unread
title: smart hanging on librpm/__memp_fget_rpmdb