[issue237] smart hangs when upgrading the whole system

Christoph Thiel cthiel at suse.de
Thu Oct 26 15:37:02 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 12:41:07PM +0000, so at Labix Tracker wrote:

> so <so at lalisio.com> added the comment:
>
> same problem here, trying to update fc5 -> fc6; had often similar problems
> in the past (obviously others, too: issue12, issue82, issue122). most of
> the time i could work around it by selecting individual packages via
> --gui, but thats obvisously not an option for a dist upgrade :-(

We are currently seening the same problem on a box on upgrade from SUSE
Linxu 10.1 -> openSUSE 10.2. No sussess in debugging so far :(

> i suppose part of the problem migth be that i have kind of a biarch
> system, x86_64 mainly, but some doubled packages for i386 (like glibc,
> which is needed for i386 mplayer, which is needed as codecs won't work for
> x86_64 mplayer).

The system is i386-only in our case.

> "smart --log-level=debug upgrade --explain" prints almost nothing, and the
> process hangs at "Computing transaction...". strace gives
>
> write(1, "Computing transaction...", 24) = 24
> brk(0x6e84000)                          = 0x6e84000

Exactly.

> "brk" is repeated several times, but even that stops after a while, cpu keeps
> running at 100% though.
>
> is there a way to make smart tell us more about the progress, like which
> packages is inspected for dependencies right now (like yum is doing it)?
> that could give a hint where a manual install of packages might break the
> loop...or any other thing how we could help to debug these kind of
> problems?

gdbing into the smart process and trying to figure out where exactly we are
in the code. It might be somewhere in rpm-python -- but could also still be
in the pure python code.

Best,
Christoph