What does the star represent?

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Mon Sep 4 06:49:46 PDT 2006

Keith Roberts wrote:
> I noticed this to. I use SuSE 9.2 on my laptop and main
> machine.
>
> I updated SPM to the latest version 0.42 on my main machine,
> and noticed the stars had disappeared too.
>
> On my laptpop the stars where still showing in SPM.
>
> After updating the laptop to 0.42 the stars disappeared
> from there as well.
>
> If they were an indicator to some sort of new packages
> available, it would be nice to have them back. Or possibly
> one type of icon for a new package that SPM has found that
> is not currently installed on your system. And another type
> of icon to indicate newly available patches or updates to
> currently installed software.
>
> Keith

> http://www.karsites.net
> http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk
>
> This email address is challenge-response protected with
> http://www.tmda.net
>
> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> To: smart at labix.org
>> From: Basil Chupin <blchupin at tpg.com.au>
>> Subject: Re: What does the star represent?
>>
>> Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> Hi Basil. I think it means it's a new package that smart has found
>>> that is not currently installed on your system, or is a new update to
>>> a package already installed on your system.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Keith

>>> http: //www.karsites.net
>>> http: //www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk
>>>
>>> This email address is challenge-response protected with
>>> http://www.tmda.net

>> Thanks for the response, Keith. I somehow feel that these
>> are not what the star represents because I thought the
>> same at the time but couldn't see the connection.
>>
>> The strange part is, I just went to check this possible
>> association again and now find that all the packages which
>> had the gold star against them have had the star removed!
>> :-) . Not a star in sight. Weird.
>>
>> Cheers.

I have been using 0.42 now for some weeks, and the stars where there
when I wrote my first message about them (above) so you switching to
0.42 isn't the reason why they suddenly vanished :-). As I mention above
they vanished between my first post and the second; during the period in
between there were some upgrades done so something in them made the
stars disappear.

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1