Upgrade packages from one channel on command-line

Pascal Bleser pascal.bleser at skynet.be
Wed Sep 13 12:12:14 PDT 2006

Schlodty wrote:
> Monkey 9 wrote:
>> Pascal Bleser schreef:

>>> Not quite. The problem is, upgrading a package may require upgrades or
>>> additional packages from other channels.
>>>
>>> It must really be implemented specifically as a feature in the
>>> UpgradePolicy (AFAICT): smart needs to have all the channels, but only
>>> elect upgrades from the one or more channels you selected for
>>> considering upgrades.
>>>
>>> e.g. if I say (let me pick a SUSE example ;))
>>>   smart upgrade --only-from=guru
>>> and in the "guru" repository there's a newer amarok package that
>>> requires a newer libxine1 package from the "packman" repository, then I
>>> want it to be upgraded as well.
>>> If you just disable all the other channels, the amarok upgrade will fail
>>> because no channel provides the needed libxine1 version.
>>
>> You are absolutely right, personaly, I do not see the use of cutting
>> off channels...
>
> The use is: Never change a running system :-) I want the SUSE
> security updates (which are in one channel), but for other programs
> and channels I only upgrade manually to a newer version if I need the
> new features.

Right, that's exactly why it would be a very useful option.

Just run
  smart -o only-from=online-updates upgrade --update
unconditionally.

Another example is to upgrade to the latest KDE packages available on
the openSUSE Build Service:
  smart -o only-from=suse-kde upgrade --update

NB: guys, please don't top post, I'm sick of fixing the layout - thanks

cheers
- --
  -o) Pascal Bleser     http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
  /\\ <pascal.bleser at skynet.be>       <guru at unixtech.be>