'encodings' module gone in Python 2.5?

Jonathan E. Brickman jbrickman at joshuacorps.org
Wed Apr 11 15:09:57 PDT 2007

Am working on a Smart SRPM for Ark Linux.  Smart built and ran very
nicely indeed with the current stable Python in Ark, which is Python
2.4.  But I need to build the Smart SRPM based on Python 2.5 if
possible, along with the newest PyGTK (2.8.6).  So far it builds and
installs fine, but when I try to run in either command-line or GUI mode,
it gives:

[root at localhost SPECS]# smart

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/bin/smart", line 27, in <module>

    from smart import init, initDistro, initPlugins, initPsyco

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/smart/__init__.py", line 23, in <module>

    from gettext import translation

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/gettext.py", line 49, in <module>

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/locale.py", line 14, in <module>

ImportError: No module named encodings

[root at localhost SPECS]#

I composed a very simple test.py containing "from encodings import *",
and it gave the same error.  I also was not able to locate an
encodings.py* within Python 2.5 standard libs.  Anyone know what I am
doing wrong?  If desireable, I can certainly build a new release of
Ark's Python 2.5 RPM, but I have to know what's wrong first, and I
didn't find anything indicative through a Google search.

J.E.B.