external rpm dependency resolution

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Tue Apr 3 11:48:53 PDT 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Stijn De Weirdt wrote:

> hi all,
>
> i'm looking into rpm dependency resolution for an admin tool and i
> was wondering if existing smart code (or api) could be of any help.
> (as i am no real rpm guru/expert, i'm very afraid of starting from
> scratch).
> any hints or help is very welcome.
>
> the situation is as follows:
> the tool deploys a static list of rpms and repositories to a
> machine, where all rpms are checked for removal or installation
> against the local rpmdb. (one of the main reasons of this is to
> have a form of version control on the rpms installed on the boxes).
>
> the problem arises when making this static rpm list. the main
> annoyance we are currently facing is that during deployment of the
> machine configuration, we sometimes have dependency problems
> (missing rpms, wrong version, file conflicts) that we like to
> resolve before deploying and preferably without having to do test
> installs (there are lots of different machine types and
> architecures. setting up and maintaining a tesbed is not the
> preferred option).
> (the generation of this list using update/upgrade-like commands
> would also be a very nice feature)

Here's how to dry lab test installing a static list of rpms against
some known rpmdb:

1) Get a copy of /var/lib/rpm from somewhere. Put in /tmp/rpm directory.

2) Generate a package manifest, i.e. a list of paths to rpm's to
install. Put in /tmp/manifest file.

3) Run "rpm -Uvv --dbpath /tmp/rpm --test /tmp/manifest".

Dependency failures should be displayed.

> as most rpm management solutions nowadays seem to do this using
> local rpmdb and the metadata of the repositories, i'm interested in
> the opinion of the smart experts on how to best tackle this.
>
> the main os is a rhel clone (Scientific Linux), we need support for
> mixed architectures (i386 and x86_64) and we can generate any kind
> of metadata that would be needed.
>
> if you need some more detail, i'm more than happy to provide it.

If you need more help, contact me privately <n3npq at mac.com>.

73 de Jeff