changes in repositories

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Aug 21 05:19:32 PDT 2007

Running 0.51 on 64-bit SuSE 10.1.  Been typing in 'smart update' at
a terminal.  Not sure if the following is a true inference, but it
seems to me that this describes what I saw:

When a repository's content has not had a change since the last time
smart looked at it, what shows on my terminal is a single 'progress'
line within the "Fetching information for ..." stanza -- that's
o.k., I interpret it as "nothing to do".  But I believe that when
the files associated with the URL given by the smart channel had
been deleted from that server (i.e., "nothing to work with"), what
showed on my terminal was the __same__ as for "nothing to do".

By looking at the server with a browser, I discovered that a 10.1
repository (but not 10.2) had been moved to a different directory
tree.  But I had not been alerted to this move when I regularly ran
smart (with its channel pointing to the old 10.1 location).  If what
I have described is how smart currently behaves, would you please
add a specific error message when the location pointed to by the
channel formerly held a repository, but no longer does.

Thanks,  mikus