New Smart GUI

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Thu Aug 2 08:42:46 PDT 2007

Hi. Just 2 cents from a user:

Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On 8/2/07, linux_learner <linux.learner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jop and I have been working on the new smart gui. It is written with Glade.
>> I am open to suggestions. I am also keeping track of it here
>> http://thecompletecomputerresource.com/forum/index.php?topic=137.msg453;topicseen#msg453
>>  My forum.
>
> I think that current GUI is more intuitive. Why would you want a
> channels tab or config tab? There are part of the configuration and
> belong under the Edit menu.

I've been using smart for a long time, and a couple of things that I
feel would be improvements are including mirror configuration in the
dialog for channel configuration, and making it possible to export the
internal configuration to (a) .channel(s) file.

I often turn on and off channels, so having them easily at hand is nice.
I don't know if having them in a separate tab would make a difference,
though.

> I agree that "search" should be always visible, I believe Banshee got
> that part right.
>
> I'd also like to drop the "hide XX" checkboxes in favour of a "view"
> dropdown (view: all, installed, available, upgrades, marked).

I second that.

Another thing that would be nice is a drop down list on the tool bar for
choosing tree style.

Would it be possible to have a way to select a base set of channels and
limit updating of certain packages to this set? Having upgraded one too
many times with the wrong repos enabled has put this on my wish list.

Regards,
Frode Petersen