Smart and SELinux (Fedora 7)

Frode Petersen fropeter at online.no
Thu Aug 9 15:45:24 PDT 2007

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>> Does this do any harm to the data used by Smart or damage any rpms? Is
>> there a way to avoid this behaviour?
> (...)
>> SELinux is preventing the /sbin/depmod from using potentially mislabeled
>> files (/tmp/tmpzACEzq-smart-rpm-out.txt (deleted)).
>
> This looks bizarre to me.  I have no idea about what depmod is trying to
> do with that text file.

I noticed later that an AVC-denial occured as smart was closing down
(writing the cache). I can't say whether that is the case at all times,
though.

I haven't NOTICED any problems, so I guess it's probably harmless.

>> Btw: Thanks for Smart; a few quirks, but otherwise great.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> Btw2: Is there an overview somewhere of all keys (and values) that smart
>> recognizes in the .channel files? I have not found one yet.
>
> Yes, smart channel --help gives you the accepted channel types, and then
> you can do smart channel --help-type <type> on any of these types.

Thanks! I seem to be so GUI'ized that didn't think of the command line
side of smart...

Frode