smart installation not scriptable

Steve Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Wed Dec 19 11:34:27 PST 2007

Cliff Wells wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:50 +0100, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>

>> I'm using the following invocation:
>> smart update -o force-channelsync=yes
>>
>> It has the side-effect of downloading updates for each channel too,
>> beyond merely adding them to the config, but that could be a feature...
>>

> That would be a feature for my application.  I'll give it a try.
>
> Cliff

If I can add my 2 cents worth, I use smart 0.52 on Mandriva Linux and it
seems to me from this thread that everybody is overlooking the standard
parameters that make smart eminently scriptable. These being the command
that I use when I want to run smart in cli mode rather than gui mode:

       smart-root upgrade --stepped --update --yes

This functions in the following way:

    * Run smart as root and prompt for the root password (whether you
      need to run as root or user depends on your configuration)
    * --update causes an automatic update of all channels
    * --stepped causes smart to determine all packages that need to be
      upgraded, once this is done it downloads the first identified
      package and any associated dependencies and then installs them,
      then proceeds on to the next identified package, etc. This is the
      same as how urpmi on Mandriva works by default
    * --yes causes yes to be supplied to the question, for each
      package/group of packages, whether or not you want the upgrade to
      proceed

The one bugbear I have with smart is that unlike urpmi it does not have
a parameter to tell it to not perform checksums on the channel synthesis
files, nor does it tell you how many packages it is going to upgrade and
what they are and ask you if you want to proceed.

regards,
Steve