accessing repositories

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Feb 22 19:15:40 PST 2007

Whenever a massive set of updates appears in the repositories
I access, I'm used to some of the downloads timing out, so that
I have to repeat the 'smart upgrade'.  Just had a clear view of
something else that might happen:

 -  Did a 'smart update', then 'smart upgrade'.  That listed
    many dozens of packages to be upgraded.  Went ahead -
    during their downloads, two of those packages timed out.

 -  Repeated the 'smart upgrade' - this time smart told me
    that those two packages could not be found.

I've concluded that in the interval between the update and
the download (I have a slow dial-up line), the versions of
those two packages available at that repository had been
*changed*.  Maybe smart should publicise a note of caution
that such situations might happen.

mikus