determining which package is 'responsible' for forcing a downgrade ?

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Jan 17 11:31:30 PST 2007

> yes, but,
>
>    MozillaThunderbird-1.99.1-44.1 at i586
>
> is found in,
>
>       /root# smart info MozillaThunderbird
>               Name: MozillaThunderbird
>                Version: 1.99.1-44.1 at i586
>                Channels: Latest mozilla.org packages @ SuSE

There's something wrong here.  In the query command you've sent
me, the package says to be available *only* from 'myDB':

MozillaThunderbird-1.99.1-44.1 at i586 {5} [myDB] - The Stand-Alone

Do you have more than one package with this name/version available?

(...)
> why doesn't THAT take priority?

Try to install this specific package and see what happens.  If
there are installation problems, Smart won't suggest it even
with a "super priority". :-)

Also try to check how many packages you have with similar names
but different content.

If that situation persists, I'm gonna ask you to put your system
state online somewhere so that I can check it out for you.

> sorry if i'm being 'thick' here ...

No problem at all. It doesn't change my mood. ;-)

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net