Smart on Debian

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Jan 7 02:35:25 PST 2007

Hello,

I'm new with Smart. I just installed it from the Ubuntu repository and
it's complaining that it doesn't have rpm libraries :P

$ sudo smart install 3dchess
error: 'rpm' python module is not available

What can I do? Why does smart need an rpm module to run on a Debian
based system? Why does the package not include the right dependencies?

I also tried the tar ball but setup.py failed miserably:

smart-0.50rc1$ ./setup.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./setup.py", line 47, in ?
    config_h_vars = sysconfig.parse_config_h(open(config_h))
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/include/python2.4/pyconfig.h'

Help?

Best,
Daniel.