why mirrors ?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Jan 8 12:01:25 PST 2007

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:48:04 -0200 Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo at niemeyer.net> wrote:
> > It doesn't. The only situation where I could imagine smart does that is
> > if the mirrors are badly out of sync.
>
> Correct.  Thanks for explaining.

What does smart do with any multiple "indexes" it downloaded
(in a single 'update') from more than one mirror ?   Does it
'merge' these "indexes" to create a master list of all packages
available for downloading ?   And when smart closes, is it this
master list, or the "index" from the *primary*, that is cached
for use with a subsequent independently invoked 'upgrade' ?

mikus  (inquiring minds want to know)