[issue298] pycurl reduces smart download speed significantly

Tobias Gerschner at Labix Tracker tracker at labix.org
Sun Jun 24 17:26:43 PDT 2007

Tobias Gerschner <tobias.gerschner at gmail.com> added the comment:

Sorry for the incomplete report. The issue is quite easy to reproduce here:

1) Package download from a near mirror happens at 500 kbyte/s using smart
without having pycurl installed.
2) uninstall the package and install pycurl
3) install the same package again and the download speed is always very low ( 60
kbyte/s ).

This has been reported from several machines and is not related to proxy use at
all. We added pycurl by default so that people don't have issues using proxies.
Anyone having pycurl installed experienced noticeably slower download speed. I
won't exclude packaging error on our side , but I have found none so far and
think it was time to get this discussion upstream started.