rpm database corruption (again)

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Thu Mar 8 05:46:39 PST 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Neal Becker wrote:

> On Thursday 08 March 2007, Jeff Johnson wrote:

>> "... broken ... painful"
>>
>> Without describing "broken" in more detail, it's impossible to
>> attempt
>> to diagnose your problem.
>>
>> 73 de Jeff
>
> smart update hangs at ~50% loading cache.  rm /var/lib/rpm/__*, then
> rpm --rebuilddb fixes it.

You likley don''t need --rebuilddb.

This is likely the kernel-2.6.19 (and FC6 2.6.18 backport) mmap(2)
problem,
bugzilla is full of reports.

Verifying hung on futex with strace/gdb, or (almost equivalently) doing
     cd /var/lib/rpm
     /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_stat -CA
would confirm.

FYI, stale lock detection and removal is implemented in rpm-4.4.8-0.4
and the backport to 4.4.2 is quite feasible. I'd be happier to do the
backport then have to listen to guesses regarding "corruption"
causes for the next year or two.

But that's Fedora''s, not rpm's, problem. Shrug.

hth

73 de Jeff