rpm database corruption (again)

Richard Hendershot rshendershot at mchsi.com
Fri Mar 9 04:49:48 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 04:20 -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Richard Hendershot wrote:

> > > You likley don''t need --rebuilddb.
> > >
> > > This is likely the kernel-2.6.19 (and FC6 2.6.18 backport) mmap(2)
> > > problem,
> > > bugzilla is full of reports.
> > >

> > I *think* I had a similar problem.  Removing /var/lib/smart/* seemed
> > to correct the cache lockup.  Make sense at all??
>

> If doing
>     rm -f /var/lib/smart/*
> corrected, then the issue was different than rpmdbg stale locks with
> identical symptoms.
>

> Likelier (my guess) you did something like reboot, which does
>     rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

I didn't reboot.  The issue that seemed similar to me was smart would
consistently hang while updating its cache.  I'd kill it and try rpm
which would succeed (faster than looking into the docs for how/where
it's semaphores lived - at least for me).  My sites live
in /etc/smart/channels which I strive to keep up-to-date so
killing /var/lib/smart/config is not a problem.  The GUI choices need to
be reset but that's quick, and validates channel files.

After removing the lib files smart was then able to process its cache
and operate normally.

I never had anything remotely approaching rpmdb corruption though so
this may not be so closely related as I had though.  YMMV