Xfce Panel Plugin for Smart

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu May 10 01:21:42 PDT 2007

Hi,
I've done a panel plugin for Xfce 4.4 and Smart 0.50.
(recently renamed xfce4-smartpm-plugin, with the "pm")

It checks for package upgrades and launches the GUI,
it can also look for channel updates on user demand.
(the check uses "smart upgrade --dump" and the update
uses either of "smart-update" or "sudo smart update")

When there are upgrades available it will launch the
update interface when clicked, otherwise the regular.
It has been tested to work with Fedora and Xubuntu,
their latest versions have Xfce 4.4 (fc7 and feisty).

Note that the plugin does not check the network for
updates, this is up to the admin (I use a cron job)
It merely shows the current upgrade status in the
panel, and offers a (gksudo) launcher for the GUI.

Having a little bit of trouble with SVN, but there is some code at:
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-smartpm-plugin

I wrote it because I was missing the Pirut/Pup/Puplet icon in Fedora,
but I don't think Xubuntu has any either ? (beyond "update-notifier")

Eventually I want it to use an icon more similar to what mail-watcher
has (i.e. a nice SVG parcel), but so far it just uses the Smart icon.