xfce4-smartpm-plugin (was Re: smart Digest, Vol 21, Issue 3)

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu May 10 23:23:57 PDT 2007

Grant McWilliams wrote:

>> I've done a panel plugin for Xfce 4.4 and Smart 0.50.
>> (recently renamed xfce4-smartpm-plugin, with the "pm")
>>
>  Perfect timing! I'm using XFCE 4.4 on CentOS5 for a project and
> needed that. I'm a little confused though
> because you say it checks for package upgrades but does not check the
> network for updates. Could you explain?

I meant *automatically*. There is an option to have it check for
upgrades with a timer (every X minutes), but to do channel updates you
need to use the menu item / dialog button. This is mostly a permissions
issue, though. If I wanted the plugin to check the network for updates,
I would need to install a suid binary (e.g. make sure "smart-update"
was installed) or install a root cronjob or do a background daemon or
something. And since that's all rather complex and subject to a lot of
opinions, I just left it all up to the user (and possibly their system
administrator) to configure... For now anyway, it could always be added
later ?

Here's the essence of the cron.daily script that I use:
(/etc/cron.daily/smart.cron)
smart update
smart upgrade --download --yes

It will update the channels, and then download all packages to the
cache. Then the icon will light up in the panel, once the next upgrade
check occurs. Eventually, it could be useful to have it show a upgrade
notification as well:

http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications/notification-daemon-
xfce#screenshots

But having upgrades and updates automatically configured rises a bunch
of questions, like "how often should it check" and "what time should it
check". And since the answers vary, I just default it to "never" and
let the users enable it... :-)