Upgrade/Downgrade ad infinitum

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Mon Nov 19 10:17:55 PST 2007

Hey Grant,

(...)
> A couple of the things it seems to weight is repository priority and package
> version. However, it doesn't seem to use the same criteria all the time or
> at least not in the same order.

It uses the same criteria all the time, but when you installed a package,
you changed the data where the criteria is applied upon.  Notice that your
channel of installed packages may also have a priority.

(...)
> This seems to be a bug as the weighting should have an order and that order
> should never change. If a channel has priority it should have it period. I'm

That's actually true right now, but the installation algorithm in Smart
is based on cost, rather than a pure unique value established for the
channel.  The difference between channels is used to compute the requested
operation cost, and there are other variables as well, as you pointed out.

> still not having the time "yet" to dig into the source and help out. I'm
> hoping that I'll get a break soon.

That'd be fantastic! Thanks a lot for these investigations.

I'm available if you want to talk about this online, or over a phone call.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net