changes in repositories

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Fri Oct 5 06:01:47 PDT 2007

Hello again Grant,

>    1. Yum's ability to install a package and only enable the repo that
>    one time is needed

You can do that with -o force-channel=channelalias, if I understand what
you mean.

>    2. Yum's ability to groupinstall is very needed
>    3. smart upgrade --update updates all repos. I'd like to specify a
>    repo after --update and have it only update that repo

We can't do that because an option either takes options, or it doesn't.
In this case, update currently doesn't take options, so we can't do that.

You can do "smart update <alias>; smart upgrade" already.  Is this bad?

>    4. reliable return codes from the cli for scripting purposes
>    5. maybe a check to see if there's an update and give back a return
>    code if there is or not

True.

>    6. maybe better query formatting options so I don't have to spend so
>    much time piping to awk

I'm not sure about what you mean here.

> There's more but I can't remember right now. I spend a lot time grepping the
> output of smartpm for messages instead of relying on return codes which I
> don't like. Also I'm going to make a concerted effort to add as much as I
> can to the official docs. Like I've said I've been using it quite a lot and
> have about 500 lines of scripts built around smart now (in a larger 15,000
> line project). I have the hard way found out how to do stuff (usually by

Wow.. have you considered using Smart from Python?  It's pretty use to
handle it as a library.

> reading the source). I'd like the documentation to be so thorough and easy
> to read that a pre-schooler could use it.

That's awesome!  I'm looking forward to see some progress on these ideas.
Do you need any help with something?

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net