gui feature change/request

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 04:12:08 PDT 2007

Congratulations to the developers of a great application. I am not able
to contribute patches, but I do my utmost to convert friends and family,
and hundreds of strangers on mailing lists to the benefits of "smart":-)

Firstly, I made a feature request some time ago to have smart-gui
"remember" the list of chosen upgrades/installs for occasions when you
have sifted through thousands of apps and chosen a special few for
upgrade, but then have to shut down smart for some reason. Has this
feature managed to find space in your list and made it into the latest
release?

My second feature request is one single usability aspect that has a few
different negative effects. Many times I'm frustrated by having
conducted a meticulous choice of selected upgrades, only to accidentally
hit the "update channels" button instead of the button for enacting the
changes. IMHO, the buttons should NOT be right next to each other on the
button bar.

The other part of the gui compounding this same frustration is that
there is no dialogue popping up asking a user do they actually want to
conduct a channel update - or, if not, giving them a chance to cancel
it. Being on dialup, I don't want to have to wait the very long time it
takes to repeat a channel update when I really wanted to conduct package
upgrades. If I try cancelling each channel update as it happens, then it
ALWAYS leads to smart freezing once the final update is cancelled. Not
getting to that point in the first place should be a basic usability
feature, but I don't know how much coding it would require for it to
change.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Gavin