smart upgrade problem with obsolete package

Heinz Deinhart heinz at tilab.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Sep 14 04:09:38 PDT 2007

Hi,

i try to use smart to update my CentOS5 (free RHEL5) systems and have some
trouble with upgrading.

My scenario is: I have a newly installed CentOS5/x86_64 machine and put
the smart package from ATRPMS on it (smart-0.50-47.el5). Then i try to
upgrade the system from some locally available rpm-md channels (Which
work finde if i do a yum update). "smart upgrade --yes" fails with this
error:

error: file /usr/bin/gaim from install of pidgin-2.0.2-3.el5 conflicts
with file from package gaim-2.0.0-0.28.beta5.el5

Installed is gaim-2.0.0-0.28.beta5.el5 (both i386 and x86_64) and no
pidgin version at all.

That is strange, because when i do a yum update and then check the pidgin
package it tells me:
# rpm -q pidgin.i386 --obsoletes
gaim < 999:1
# rpm -q pidgin.x86_64 --obsoletes
gaim < 999:1

So obviously smart checks that pidgin needs to be installed during
upgrade because it is a replacement for gaim. But it does not delete gaim
before upgarding.

Of course i tried to use a manually installed 0.51 version of smart
instead of ATRPMs 0.50, but the problem did not go away. Same with the
subversion trunk from today 11:16 CEST.

Is this a bug or can it be that i missed some config option?

thanks for help & ciao,
Heinz

PS: you can find more logs at http://www.nix.at/smart-problem/
Let me know if you need any more infos

--
Heinz Deinhart <heinz at tilab.tuwien.ac.at>           +43 1 58801-19521
Technische Universitaet Wien, E195                       Treitlstr. 3