Distributions going smart & bugfixes?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Dec 22 02:42:45 PST 2008

Axel Thimm wrote:

>> That is the purpose of the branch, yes. It also had the support
>> for Python 2.6, that is needed by Fedora 11 and openSUSE 11.1...
>
> OK, I'll track that branch for packaging official smart packages for
> Fedora. Thanks!

"trunk" is still the official release branch, but if things are
merged there then you don't need any downstream patches either.

There were a lot of patches floating around downstream, so I've
tried to add bugs and branches for the one that I could find...

>> It also needs support for Yum Comps to be useful in Fedora, since
>> many things are now only in those as the RPM Groups are not used ?
>
> Yes, RPM Groups have been considered obsolete for quite some
> time. There was even discussion about droping them entirely in
> rpm > 4.5, but that didn't happen.

AFAIK they were removed in git, but then re-added when things broke.
For the 4.6 release, they seemed to have been changed to "optional" ?
Other distributions, such as openSUSE or Mandriva, are still using
the RPM Groups. For Fedora, they are outdated at best or even wrong.

For RPM 5, the groups are still available along with the arbitrary
tags but the list of which groups to use is left to each vendor...
(i.e. the GROUPS file was removed) There's also a few related tags
like Class:, but those aren't mandatory like RPMTAG_GROUP/LICENSE etc.

>> But that implementation* (of "comps") has been pushed for next year
>> so there will be no Yum Comps/PackageKit Collections in Smart 1.2
>>
>> * https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/244969
>
> Well, next year is two week away :)

Then again "sometime next year" could be up to 12 months away. :-)

> Thanks for all the efforts! The stable and testing branches are very
> useful for distribution packagers. Maybe I'll use the testing branch
> for F11's development cycle. But I'll ask again before doing so. ;)

The branches are not working too well with Launchpad and bzr,
however, so it's likely to be done differently in the future.
Most likely they will only be in the milestones, and there
will be one branch per bug (and one isolated issue per bug)

But that's just the technical, there'll still be stable and
testing and development/sandbox versions in theory at least.
If still possible, it would be nice to have Smart working in
the Fedora 11 release even though it failed with Fedora 10.