smart groupinstall

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 10:30:26 PDT 2008

So one of the items on my wishlist is a smart groupinstall feature that
would allow me to install complete groups like Yum does. I started digging
into this and
since Smart is a a unique beast in that it handles many types of packages
and many types of repositories it's been interesting.

Am I wrong in assuming that rpm-md is the only repository type that supports
package groups? It's the only repository type I manage so I think I assumed
a lot.
Can APT or any other RPM repo do groups?

Syntax:
smart groupinstall <group name>
smart groupremove <group name>
smart grouplist

If groups are only handled by rpm-md then how does the gui deal with this? I
guess if you had one rpm-md repository and the rest were something else
(why?) then
if you selected "Tree Style -> Groups" it would only show the repository
groups from the one rpm-md repository. I just noticed that Smart on Ubuntu
shows a
Tree Style -> Groups and lists groups of apps but I'm not sure it's really
the same thing. I don't think you'd want to groupinstall editors and have
ALL editors installed.
Maybe the Tree Style - Groups should really be Tree Style -> Categories
since that's what they are.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Grant