future of smart

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Wed Jun 4 18:36:11 PDT 2008

I'm becoming a little worried about the future of Smart.  It's by far
the best package manager I've used (and much, much better than the crud
being foisted on us by Fedora), but development seems to have stalled.

A couple of things that need addressing:

1) The GUI is old, old, old.  Functionally it's not bad (and far better
than PackageKit's joke of a GUI), but GTK1?

2) Mirror support is too convoluted to be usable.  This is a really key
point because Fedora at least, supplies nothing but mirrors these days.
This makes getting Smart going on a FC9 box a herculean task.

I think these two things would go a long way toward making Smart feel
not quite so obsolete.

Regards,
Cliff