future of smart

Kai Ponte kai at perfectreign.com
Wed Jun 4 20:29:06 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 04 June 2008 06:36:11 pm Cliff Wells wrote:
> I'm becoming a little worried about the future of Smart.  It's by far
> the best package manager I've used (and much, much better than the crud
> being foisted on us by Fedora), but development seems to have stalled.
>
> A couple of things that need addressing:
>
> 1) The GUI is old, old, old.  Functionally it's not bad (and far better
> than PackageKit's joke of a GUI), but GTK1?

I had no idea.

Looks like every other GTK app.

> 2) Mirror support is too convoluted to be usable.  This is a really key
> point because Fedora at least, supplies nothing but mirrors these days.
> This makes getting Smart going on a FC9 box a herculean task.
>
> I think these two things would go a long way toward making Smart feel
> not quite so obsolete.

I hope smart doesn't go away. I'm an openSUSE user, who will soon be the
recipient of a Red Hat laptop.  (I currently have two openSUSE laptops and a
few desktops as well as my mother and mother-in-law's system to support.)

I generally don't use the smart gui much, but the smart commandline is awesome
to have in a batch script.

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com