future of smart

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 02:50:55 PDT 2008

> Personally, I think the simplified versions have little reason to exist
> (except perhaps something like yum-updatesd for notifying a user of
> updates).  Smart-gui (for example) seems to adequately address the needs
> of a range of users without hiding important information or making the
> process tedious.   I know there's a push to "dumb-down" the Linux
> desktop to make it more appealing to Windows refugees, but I think this
> is a mistake.  They are refugees for a reason =)
>

> Cliff

Pirut is worthless and Ubuntus gui is decent but I will still go dig up
Synaptic even though I don't like it because it allows me to get my job
done. What I look for in Smart is both, simple enough gui but not limiting
my power in any way. I can search, I can add repos, I can install and I can
delete. I don't know why so many package management projects miss such a
simple target.

Grant