future of smart

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 11:29:36 PDT 2008

> > Who really cares about the GUI as long as the application works well?
>
> Most people - including me.

There still is that subjective factor of the human species. There are some
apps that I really wished worked properly because I like the way they look
and feel. There are other apps that I need and use that look like crap but I
only use them because I have no other choice. I personally put stability
first, usability next and pretty last but it's still on the list.

I've never been satisfied with ANY of the Linux desktops because of this.
None of them seem to hit on all three items on my list. Either it's pretty
and unstable (KDE), pretty and usability stinks (Gnome) or it's stable and
usable but not pretty (XFCE). I'm still waiting. Of course this last
sentence itself could send a country to war so let's just remember it's just
my opinion.

Having said that Smart gui could be a bit more usable and a lot prettier
without taking away it's usability. The monitors (ksmarttray) need to be
better. I'd like them to tell me if there are updates and pop up a window to
upgrade but let me select or deselect apps to be upgraded. Or pop up smart
--gui in a special simplified "upgrade context".

Grant