future of smart

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Wed Jun 11 02:30:35 PDT 2008

> Yeah, it's especially annoying to try to do a quick "smart search
> package", have the package not found but the cache updated anyway =)

The fact that the cache was rebuilt and thus should be saved for reuse
is unrelated to which command you use.  Building (parts of) the cache
is necessary whenever one of the source of package information has
potentially changed.  I say potentially because in certain cases it's
not possible to figure that packages have really changed or not without
parsing the file, and thus the cost of rebuilding the cache is already
paid.

> Anyway, I'm going to take a look to see what it would take to get usable
> mirror support into Smart.  Right now this is a show-stopper on Fedora.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you on that.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net