future of smart

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 15:29:19 PDT 2008

> I found the sheer volume of responses to my post to be pretty
> encouraging.
>
>  There's a lot of us using it that are too busy to request or work on
features. I have it on 100 machines around the world and was going to put
some time in to help reorganize the docs so they made more sense and were
easier to find and read but time is something that never seems to
materialize. :-(

I do think some of the features on my consolidated list need to be added
though in order for SmartPM to remain viable. The mirrors issue and GPG key
checking are both "musts". And then I still have my wishes... :-)

I'd like to see Smart become THE backend for Packagekit. Currently I have
some reservations though. More than one time I've gotten SmartPM into an
upgrade/downgrade loop that would never stop. I think every time it was a
packagers problem because it went away a couple days later but explain that
to the users that don't understand why they can update their machines.
Solution? I don't know.

Grant