Smart config file parsing

Michael Jennings mej at kainx.org
Thu Jun 12 14:57:16 PDT 2008

On Thursday, 12 June 2008, at 14:02:47 (-0700),
Grant McWilliams wrote:

> And when CentOS goes from 5.0 to 5.1 to 5.2 do I go to all 100
> machines and change the URL lines for each baseurl and mirrors or do
> I just go with the variables set by centos-release (or wherever Yum
> get's them)?

Do you do that now?  No.  Why not?  Because $releasever is "5" and not
"5.0" or "5.1."  And that value doesn't change.  Your installs still
roll gracefully from version to version due to the magical moving of a
symlink on the repository server.  It has nothing whatsoever to do
with $releasever changing.

It would work exactly the same way with smart.  The only real
difference is that smart doesn't have to query the version of a
package every time it runs to obtain a value that never changes.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej at kainx.org>
Linux Server/Cluster Admin, LBL.gov       Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)