Smart config file parsing

Michael Jennings mej at kainx.org
Thu Jun 12 15:24:04 PDT 2008

On Thursday, 12 June 2008, at 15:12:59 (-0700),
Grant McWilliams wrote:

> I did notice the repository does this but that brings up the
> question as to why Yum uses variables so much.

No comment.  :-)

> Does it query each package for $releasever and $arch and $basearch
> each time it installs something or does an update?

I was assuming you knew how that worked.  $releasever is set to the
version number of the package specified by the "distroverpkg" config
file setting.  $basearch is `uname -i`.  (It should be pretty clear
that $basearch would never change.)

> I really don't know so that's a question but I'd have a hard time
> believing it's doing this for every package in all repos every time
> you want to update.

It doesn't have to since they don't change. :)

> So I guess the question (to everyone) is this - does Smart need
> variables in the URLs.

I don't think it does.

> Maybe I don't understand why YUM has them. I tend to believe that
> most things are done for a reason but maybe it's unnecessary.

Most things are done for a reason.  That does not imply the reason is
good or sound.  :-)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej at kainx.org>