future of smart

Richard Hendershot rshendershot at mchsi.com
Thu Jun 12 16:25:47 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 10:09 -0700, Grant McWilliams wrote:

> smart config --set downgrade=no
>

> That way I as the administrator of all these machine can set it and
> the problem goes away. The default would be the Smart behavior we see
> now so all other cases allow upgrade/downgrade ability.

One place it might still fail.  Speaking of Fedora- there remain
packages for Fedora 8 on my brand new shiny Fedora 9 installation.  Over
time those packages are updated.  Fairly regularly their versions are
some minor point behind the F8 version number so smart has to downgrade
that package even though it is upgrading to a later repository version
(I know that concept doesn't exist in the packages, but it is an
environmental concept nonetheless).

I have also faced the necessity of downgrading when I'm installing the
same package (mplayer comes to mind) but from a different repository
than I have installed.  The minor version might be lower but some part
of it might be more flexible or stable or have some other issue resolved
that the installed package does not.

Probably 'downgrade=no' would prevent that action.  If it also affected
the first scenario that would be critical.

--
Richard Hendershot <rshendershot at mchsi.com>