smart groupinstall

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Jun 13 01:03:26 PDT 2008

Grant McWilliams wrote:

> Am I wrong in assuming that rpm-md is the only repository type that
> supports package groups? It's the only repository type I manage so
> I think I assumed a lot.
> Can APT or any other RPM repo do groups?

I think the others usually do virtual packages (or "metapackages")
instead...
As described for APT-RPM in http://www.lineox.net/mpackages.php, for
instance.

> Syntax:
> smart groupinstall <group name>
> smart groupremove <group name>
> smart grouplist
>
> If groups are only handled by rpm-md then how does the gui deal
> with this? I guess if you had one rpm-md repository and the rest
> were something else (why?) then
> if you selected "Tree Style -> Groups" it would only show the
> repository groups from the one rpm-md repository. I just noticed
> that Smart on Ubuntu shows a
> Tree Style -> Groups and lists groups of apps but I'm not sure it's
> really the same thing. I don't think you'd want to groupinstall
> editors and have ALL editors installed.
> Maybe the Tree Style - Groups should really be Tree Style ->
> Categories since that's what they are.

It currently shows the RPM groups in Smart, when used with RPM
packages...
When used with DEB packages, it would correspondingly show the DEB
sections.

> Ideas?

Can't you add a special "Yum Groups" group, and then add comps.xml to
that ?
Then you can install/remove the groups just like you do with regular
packages

However, it seems like "--group" might be missing from `smart query`
options
so that might be needed in order to do the "grouplist" equivalent for
smart.