Smart config file parsing

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 10:23:52 PDT 2008

> Except that the smart-config virtual package only includes the default
> channels.  I don't know of many people who don't add more repositories
> (my laptop must have at least six non-standard ones).
>
> Again, the manual editing isn't a huge issue, but I think that
> pretending it's totally useless is rather myopic.   It's only useless to
> those who don't want to use it.

Agreed. I thought about the virtual package thing and it doesn't really
solve much because you'd have to know which repositories each user would
want.

Have you had consistent success in adding repositories to smart via rpm?
Seems like on the first run Smart will pick them up but after that it
doesn't always catch them. This is just an observation with no testing
though as I don't add repos that way. My servers have a config script (which
is in an rpm) that when executed downloads the repo and mirrors list from a
central server and does a smart channel remove-all && smart channel add <
channels.txt and the same for the mirrors. This way I can change the
"variables" in one file and bump the revision of the rpm and they will
download it. I'd really like to see a smoother way of doing this though.

Even though the fedora-release/redhat-release/centos-release way may not be
perfect it works fairly well. I have had this system get mucked though and a
quick rpm -e centos-release, yum install centos-release solved it.

Grant