Smart config file parsing

Michael Jennings mej at kainx.org
Mon Jun 16 11:06:18 PDT 2008

On Saturday, 14 June 2008, at 23:42:19 (-0700),
Grant McWilliams wrote:

> To have version control handled by a GPG signed database managed
> package installed by a core piece of software instead of relying on
> a third party version control system to write files to the hard
> drive? Yes I do.

Notwithstanding the fact that you're saying a package with "version
control" in the name is an inappropriate solution for version control,
and yet a package manager is, you attempted to restate the question in
such a way as to make your position more sensible, thereby not really
addressing the question.

The question is, is it more reasonable to modify the yum/smart
configuration by (1) modifying the yum/smart configuration or (2)
installing/upgrading packages which have no direct inherent
relationship to the yum/smart configuration.

If you really think #2 is the correct answer, then we'll have to agree
to disagree.  But I still believe such a response can only be induced
by an affinity for current practices and not an open-minded, logical
examination of those practices.

> But since you think that it's not maybe you should give the largest
> Linux Server company a call and let them know about your much
> simpler method of setting a variable. I'm sure you'll have them
> scrambling to implement it as default right away.

Could we please try to keep the debate on an adult level?

> The point is we don't always need a sophisticated complex way of
> doing a job. Einstein said to "Make everything as simple as
> possible, but not simpler." That Albert was a smart guy.

He sure was.  And it doesn't get much simpler than editing a config
file.

> Installing one package does actually work 99.99% of the time. It
> seems a bit hackish but requires very few dependencies that wouldn't
> already exist anyway (rpm).

Neither does config file editing, and it has the added advantage of
not being even "a bit" hackish.

> Besides none of this matters anyway - that's the way it's done on
> the Redhat based distros so either we can get our panties in a twist
> or work with it.

"The way it's done on RedHat-based distros" has no meaning or
gospel-like significance to smart, as smart has scope outside and
beyond those distros.  Otherwise, I don't think Gustavo would be
working at Canonical.  :-)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej at kainx.org>