Smart Packs

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Tue Sep 2 07:56:05 PDT 2008

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

>> I added support for "packs" to Smart... Same as Yum's yumpack
>> or PackageKit's servicepack, these packs are package archives.
>
> Oh, very nice!
>
> Is it in a branch/bug somewhere?

It's at https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/263756

Using the built-in "tarfile" and "tempfile" features,
so there are no extra dependencies beyond Python 2.3+

No graphical user interface for install/download, yet.

>> The missing feature is so that you can download a package
>> and all dependencies, except for those on a package list -
>> say for instance the ones available in the base install or
>> on the release CD. Something like --depends and --exclude ?
>
> I don't get that part, though.

Currently you have to download each package separately,
so if you want any dependencies included in the "pack"
you have to mention all those too (that is, explicitly)

The idea was to have a flag --depends, that would also
download all required dependencies for the first packages
starting from an empty tree (i.e. ignoring the installed)

That makes for a lot of packages though, so that's why
there was an --exclude to remove the packages that are
"always" installed - like "glibc" or "basesystem" or so ?

like:
smart query --installed --output=exclude.txt
smart download foo --depends --exclude=exclude.txt

--anders

PS. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/offline-updater and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/DebarshiRay