Kind of regression in r693

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo at niemeyer.net
Thu Sep 25 10:45:39 PDT 2008

Hi!

> first of all thanks for the great project :)

Our pleasure!

> I'm importing some of python classes of SmartPM in a project called
> PDK [0], a tool used to build and maintain custom versions of
> Debian-based distributions.

Nice!

> I hope this information is enough to understand the problem, if needed
> I can provide detailed steps about how to replicate the issue.

This isn't exactly a regression, but an introduced "feature".  The idea is that
Smart will stop looking for solutions to the problem on very complex
situations and give up.  This prevents it from hanging for days when people
have insane setups like several repositories which provide slightly different
solutions for precisely the same package (third party repositories from
Fedora all enabled at once with different compilations of the same package
set was the usual trigger for this issue).

I'm curious about your specific case, though, since apparently your
situation shouldn't be that complex.  I'd like to have a look at the data,
if you have some self-contained example.  Another thing to try out
is tweaking the constants at the top of transaction.py.   They allow
enabling and disabling specific behaviors related to that.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net