Kind of regression in r693

Free Ekanayaka free at 64studio.com
Thu Sep 25 10:59:33 PDT 2008

Hi Gustavo,

thanks for your answer

|--==> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:45:39 -0300, "Gustavo Niemeyer" <gustavo at niemeyer.net> said:

  GN> Hi!
  >>first of all thanks for the great project :)

  GN> Our pleasure!

  >>I'm importing some of python classes of SmartPM in a project called
  >>PDK [0], a tool used to build and maintain custom versions of
  >>Debian-based distributions.

  GN> Nice!

:)

  >>I hope this information is enough to understand the problem, if needed
  >>I can provide detailed steps about how to replicate the issue.

  GN> This isn't exactly a regression, but an introduced "feature".  The idea is that
  GN> Smart will stop looking for solutions to the problem on very complex
  GN> situations and give up.  This prevents it from hanging for days when people
  GN> have insane setups like several repositories which provide slightly different
  GN> solutions for precisely the same package (third party repositories from
  GN> Fedora all enabled at once with different compilations of the same package
  GN> set was the usual trigger for this issue).

  GN> I'm curious about your specific case, though, since apparently your
  GN> situation shouldn't be that complex.  I'd like to have a look at the data,
  GN> if you have some self-contained example.

Would you have a Debian-based system to test on? (any recent Debian or
Ubuntu would do). If yes I can point you to the appropriate PDK Debian
package along with a simple test-case. It should be as easy as
installing the package and running the test.

PDK it's all Python code, so it should work on RPM-based system as
well, but I never tested it, so it would be simplier to check it on a
Debian system.

  GM>  Another thing to try out
  GN> is tweaking the constants at the top of transaction.py.  They
  GN> allow enabling and disabling specific behaviors related to that.

Yes, I thought something like that as well. I guess we can solve the
issue by tweaking a few parameters, but I really don't now which..

Thanks,

Free