Use of priorities

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Mon Aug 24 20:12:18 PDT 2009

I do not understand the use of priorities for channels in Smart. I
thought I did understand but evidently the priority number works
differently than the way I thought it would or I just am not using it in
the right way.

I wanted a priority system which does not show updates to a package if
the priority of the channel which has the update is lower than the
priority of the channel which has supplied the current version of a
package. This would keep me from updating a package from a channel of a
lower priority, thus possibly breaking a distribution. When I tried this
in Smart 1.2 I notice that Smart will still list updates to packages
from channels that have lower priorities than the channel from where the
previous version of the package came, when one chooses to hide any
package that is not an update. This puzzles me since I thought the
priority, as it related to channels, was meant to prevent this situation.

Does priority, therefore, only apply to installations of a new package
and, if so, how does that work ? How can I use Smart so that it does not
list an update a package with a later release over another channel where
the package was previously installed or updated, when I do not want to
use the first channel to override packages from the second channel ? I
think this is a very common occurence: one has a set of base channels,
and then one has a 3rd party channel, and one does not want the
particular 3rd party channel to be used to update packages in one of the
base channels, but only to supply new packages and updates of thoe packages.