Using mirrorlists

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Wed Aug 26 05:20:36 PDT 2009

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> In Yum-based systems mirrorlists are often used instead of base URLs.
>> Is there an equivalent to using mirrorlists in Smart and, if so, how
>> does this work when adding a channel ?
>
> Smart uses separate mirrors, so you add them with "smart mirror" after
> the channel has been added with "smart channel".
This implies that in Smart one must currently manually add all the
mirrors on a mirrorlist against the baseurl. That is much work.
> Support for integration with yum mirrorlist (including metalink) is
> pending, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/smart/+bug/247351
I hope this is added soon so that one need only add an entire mirrorlist
URL.

> It's actually a problem that Yum doesn't use the baseurl, and even
> comments it out in the .repo definition (!), since Smart uses the
> baseurl for naming and identifying the repo files.
If Yum can figure it out, it seems that Smart should be able to also.
> Currently* this means that if you switch mirrors, you need to
> redownload all files...
I understand that.

> [rawhide]
> #baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/$basearch/os/
>
> mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=rawhide&arch=$basearch
>

> * This only applies when using the yumchannelsync plugin, and not
> cheating by looking at commented lines. It does not apply if you set
> the channel baseurl and mirror list yourself, though. Note that
> "$basearch" only works with the plugin, for smart .channel or
> otherwise you need to say "i386" or "x86_64" instead.
I would not mind manually filling in for $basearch ( or $releasever )
when adding the mirrorlist to Smart, sinc that is relatively easy. It's
manually adding all the mirrors on a mirrorlist that is time consuming.

Eddie